There are lots of different ways you can make a complaint to the Public Transport Ombudsman – by filling in our online complaint formcalling us or sending us a message via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., mail or social media.

The Public Transport Ombudsman looks at complaints from people who use public transport in Melbourne and Victoria or are affected by public transport related activities such as infrastructure works. The complaint must be about a public transport operator or organisation that is member of our scheme. The following organisations are members of the Public Transport Ombudsman Scheme: 

We can look at lots of different public transport issues including:

  • Myki
  • The accessibility of public transport
  • Customer service
  • Information about public transport – at stations, stops, onboard and online
  • Train/tram/bus disruptions, delays and cancellations
  • The conduct of public transport staff
  • The impacts of public transport works

There are many more issues we can look at. Please get in touch with us if you want to check whether we can look at your complaint.

Does the public transport operator know you are unhappy?

We can investigate your public transport complaint after the public transport operator has had a chance to resolve it. If you contact us first, we can help you make a complaint to the operator. Often, making a complaint directly to the operator leads to a quick resolution of your complaint.

If you haven’t been able to resolve your complaint with the operator, or they are taking too long to respond to your complaint, you can lodge your complaint with us, and we will have a look at it.

Investigating your complaint

When we investigate your complaint, we work with you and the operator to find a fair and reasonable outcome. We are independent – we do not act for either side, but we can provide you with impartial information and help you if you don’t understand something.

What we need from you

We might ask you for information to support your claim against the operator, such as details of times, dates and locations or supporting documentation such as receipts, tram, train or bus tickets or correspondence with the public transport operator. 

If you want to claim financial compensation you need to tell us how much you are seeking and provide information to support your calculations.

Compensation codes

In some circumstances we will be guided by Victorian Government regulations or Victorian Government compensation codes. For example, if you are claiming public transport performance compensation when Metro, V/Line or Yarra Trams do not meet their monthly performance targets, a government compensation code will apply.

What we need to consider

During our investigation we need to consider the law and good industry practice, as well as what is a fair and reasonable outcome for everyone. 

Our process of investigating your public transport complaint is informal and confidential. We ask both you and the member to be respectful and prepared to compromise so we can find a fair, reasonable and lasting outcome to the complaint. 

You can read about complaint outcomes here.