myki Complaints

myki is the smart card ticketing system in Victoria.

You can use myki on:

  • metropolitan trains, trams and buses
  • V/Line commuter train services
  • Bus services in Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong, the Latrobe Valley, Seymour and Warragul.

The Victorian Fares and Ticketing Manual (VFTM) sets out the conditions of travel for myki. You can look at the VFTM here. However the PTO also expects the conditions of travel information to be provided to consumers in a clear and accessible format. This can be via PTV’s website, the PTV call centre or on the public transport network.

If you would like information about how myki works, please refer to the PTV website.

Top tips for travelling with myki

  1. Only buy your myki from an authorised retailer like 7-Eleven, card vending machines or railway stations. If you buy a myki from someone who is not authorised, you could lose your money.
  2. Make sure you take all reasonable steps to have enough money on your myki to cover your fare before travelling. For example, you might need to make a separate trip to top up your myki before getting on a tram because you can’t top up on board.
  3. Make sure you have ‘touched on’ your myki properly. Listen for the sound and look at the screen at the myki gate to make sure your touch on is successful.
  4. Register your myki. This protects the money on your myki if it is lost or stolen.
  5. Make sure that you are carrying the right proof that you’re entitled to a concession fare if you are travelling on a concession myki. For example, if you are travelling on a concession myki because you are a student, your school/tertiary student ID card is not enough. You need to apply for a Victorian Public Transport concession card from PTV.
  6. Check out the PTV website at to see if you are entitled to an iUse pass, which provides discounted travel to international undergraduate students.
  7. Do some research to work out the cheapest way to travel. Regular travellers may save money using a myki pass rather than myki money. You can get information from the PTV website or by calling PTV on 1800 800 007.

If you are caught without a valid myki or correct proof of concession by an Authorised Officer then there are a couple of things to know;

  • If you opt for the fine to be sent to you then you can challenge the fine in writing. We cannot help you appeal a fine, but we can help you with general information about fines if you contact us and we can look at a complaint about the circumstances in which you were fined.
  • If you have received a penalty fare you can complain to us. We can talk to you about the penalty fare and why you were travelling without a valid ticket or proof of concession entitlement. We can then discuss our process and what outcomes are possible. Penalty fares will no longer be offered from 1 January 2017.


Here are some of the common myki issues complained about to our office:


There are a number of different myki cards, including different concession mykis. A concession myki requires you to travel with proof of entitlement to the concession myki. Information about entitlement to a concession myki can be found on the PTV website or you can contact the PTC call centre for advice. If you travel with a concession myki and you do not have the correct proof of entitlement, you may be issued with a penalty fare or a fine.

If you want to travel on a concession myki as a student and you are over 17, you need a Victorian Public Transport (VPT) concession card as proof of entitlement. There are some eligibility criteria you need to meet to qualify for a VPT card. The student card issued by your school or tertiary institution is not accepted.

If you want to travel on a concession myki with a Health Care Card as proof of entitlement, you need to have a Health Care Card issued in your name. Any dependents listed on the Health Care Card cannot use it as proof of entitlement. While being listed on a Health Care Card may offer some concession entitlements elsewhere, it doesn’t apply to public transport.

The Victorian Government is currently undertaking a review of public transport concession requirements.

Refunds and reimbursements

Consumers are entitled to a refund of any unused balance owing on their myki card. Refund and reimbursement requests can be made via your online account or the PTV call centre. If a myki is submitted for a refund, the card is cancelled and the entire balance refunded.

Many of the refund and reimbursement complaints we look at involve passes, rather than myki money. When PTV says ‘unused’ in relation to passes it means passes that either have not been activated or have pass days remaining. PTV doesn’t provide refunds for expired passes or for pass days that have been used. It is important to understand that if a pass has been activated, pass days are being used even if the pass isn’t being used for travel.

Sometimes consumers may be entitled to reimbursement for used pass days or myki money fares. Requests can be made for ticketing equipment faults, medical conditions and other special circumstances.

Overcharging / default fares

The myki system is designed to charge a fare at the end of a journey and when a myki is touched off. However, there isn’t always a requirement to touch off. For example, if you’re travelling on a tram within zone 1 you don’t need to touch off your myki.

If a myki isn’t touched off, a default fare might be charged. This might be more than or the same amount as the highest fare possible. A default fare can be a significant amount if you are travelling in a regional area. A default fare myki not be charged for some time, depending on how often a myki is used. This can be confusing for passengers when checking their myki money balance or travel history.

We look at complaints from consumers who have been overcharged or charged a default fare. When we investigate these complaints, we look at the consumer’s individual circumstances and what a fair and reasonable outcome to the complaint would be.