Read our FAQs for answers to the questions we get asked the most about public transport.

If you don’t find what you’re looking for, you can contact us.

Questions about COVID-19

The State and Federal Governments are constantly updating information about the measures that are in place to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Before you travel, we recommend you check with PTV or the public transport operator about what is happening on your line or route. Public transport operators provide up to date information about services and timetable changes on their websites and social media channels such as Facebook and Twitter.

Information about travelling on public transport during the COVID-19 outbreak can be found on the PTV website here. You can also call PTV on 1800 800 007.

A myki pass continues even if you stop using public transport. PTV has announced that you can pause your pass on your myki smartcard if your travel has changed due to COVID-19. This protects the balance of your pass and means you will not lose any days before you start travelling again. You can choose to get a refund of the pass balance if you prefer, or if you have a myki pass on your mobile myki.

You should contact PTV as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances and find out what is the best option for you.

If you’re not sure if you’ve received the correct number of pass days or refund amount, you should ask PTV to check the calculations. If you don’t agree with PTV you can contact us for help.

We will look at your circumstances and the refund and reimbursement rules to decide if PTV has followed the correct process. If we decide you are owed additional pass days or funds, we will advise PTV what needs to be paid.

The PTV website has information about the increased cleaning measures on public transport in Victoria. Trains, trams and buses have increased sanitation on all touch points and are being disinfected more often. You can read more on the PTV website here.

PTV advises that these measures have been introduced following advice from the Department of Health and Human Services.

You can get a refund of an unused V/Line ticket by calling V/Line on 1800 800 007.

You can contact us if you don’t get a response from V/Line, or if V/Line says you’re not entitled to a refund.

PTV has introduced social distancing measures on board trams and buses. The first row of seats is currently unavailable to passengers to ensure the health and safety of bus drivers.

At some stage, you will be able to sit in you preferred seat but for the time being, you will need to sit somewhere else.

To slow the spread of coronavirus, PTV may make changes to handling of cash payments on the network.

For all in-person transactions, customers will need to use their credit or debit card.

We recommend that you top up before you travel, either online or by calling PTV. You can still top up at a myki machine using either cash or a credit or debit card.

You can call PTV on 1800 800 007 or visit the PTV website here if you need further advice about the best way to top up your myki.

You can contact the public transport operator to raise your concerns. It’s important that everyone follows the rules set by the Department of Health and Human Services to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

If you are not happy with the response you get from the operator, you can contact us for assistance. We will review the rules that apply in the circumstances you described and look at whether the operator needs to take additional action to address the issue of safety.

Buses can idle at a bus stop but not excessively. Bus companies have rules about how long a bus can idle at a stop before the driver should turn the bus off.

If noise or vibrations from idling buses is an issue for you, you should contact the bus company to make a complaint. The company should work with the drivers to ensure that they are following the correct procedures.

If the issue continues after making a complaint, you can contact us for assistance. It is helpful if you keep a record with dates and times of instances of excessive idling as this will assist us and the bus company in identifying the services and staff involved.

Questions about public transport services

While we can handle public transport complaints about services in Melbourne and Victoria not running on time or to schedule, we can’t handle complaints about the schedule itself. We don’t have the power to change timetables or increase services.

If you’re not happy with a current timetable, you should complain to PTV. If you’re not happy with their response you might want to refer the matter to your local Member of Parliament or the Minister for Public Transport.

Yes. We can look at your complaint about delayed or cancelled public transport services in Victoria.

It is helpful if you can provide us with specific dates and times of when the public transport service was late or cancelled. You can call us to talk about your experience, or lodge a complaint using our complaint form.

You can request to have the fine reviewed. Fines are issued by the Department of Transport and we don’t have the power to review or overturn your fine. Take a look at the review process on the Department of Transport website.

If you have a complaint about events leading up to the fine, for example the conduct of public transport staff such as an Authorised Officer, or a malfunctioning myki reader, we might be able to look at that for you. But remember, we don’t have the power to overturn the fine.

The public transport operator will tell you how long it will take for you to get a response. This is usually around 7 business days. More serious complaints may be responded to sooner. If you don’t hear from the public transport operator in the time you were given, you can follow up with them as this may be the quickest and easiest way to resolve the complaint. You can also call our office for advice about what to do if the operator doesn’t respond to you.

Eligibility for a concession myki is determined by Public Transport Victoria (PTV) rules. We can investigate your myki complaint, but we can’t change those rules.

If you think PTV made the wrong decision, we can look at your application for a concession myki, how it was handled and whether the decision should be changed.

It is inevitable that there will be some level of noise associated with public transport. However, if you believe the noise is unreasonable you can complain to us. We can look at where the noise is coming from, whether it is unreasonable and whether proper procedures have been followed by the public transport operator. We might ask you to keep a diary with times and dates of when the noise issue happens. Check out our common complaints section on noise.

The Public Transport Ombudsman can’t investigate complaints about the location of bus stops. PTV are authorised by law to construct bus stops and the law doesn’t require them to consult with the community on the location of individual bus stops. Check out our common complaints section on new bus stops.

You should speak to PTV about why you are not happy with the bus stop. If you have safety concerns about the bus stop, please let PTV know.

Questions about our services

This will depend on your complaint and what you are seeking to resolve it. The PTO will speak with you about the standard timeframes for resolving a complaint, which may be between 14-21 days. Complex complaints may take longer to resolve.

Yes, we look at complaints about the behaviour and actions of Authorised Officers (AO), and other public transport staff. If you are complaining about getting a public transport fine from an AO we can only look at the AO’s conduct, we can’t review or overturn the public transport fine.

If someone is making you feel unsafe on public transport you should alert the driver or conductor or contact police.

If you make a public transport complaint to us, we will look at the obligations of the public transport operator and the role of public transport staff – did they take reasonable steps and follow the right procedures? We can’t take action against other passengers.

No, we don’t look at complaints about taxis or uber. You can make a complaint to Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria.