The Public Transport Ombudsman can provide students with assistance to resolve their public transport complaints. If you’re not sure what to do, please call us on 1800 466 865.

Common complaints we receive from students are about:

  • myki
  • concession cards
  • authorised officers
  • penalty fares and transport fines.

Concession cards are an area of particular confusion, and the Victorian Government is currently engaged in a review of travel concession entitlements. Our hope is that the Government review will result in simpler and more user friendly transport concessions arrangements.

How we can help you

You can contact our office for information and advice in relation to your public transport complaint.

If you have not referred your complaint to the public transport operator, we will give you referral information so you can do so. We cannot investigate your complaint until the operator has had an opportunity to resolve it.

If the operator does not resolve your complaint, or does not reply to you within a reasonable timeframe, please contact us and we will look into your complaint. We will work with you and the operator to find a fair and reasonable outcome to your complaint.

We offer translations services if you would prefer to speak in a language other than English, and you don’t need to be a permanent resident to use our services.


Here are some links to information that may help you with your complaint.

You can find more helpful information on our Need Advice page. If you need more information or would like to make a complaint, please contact us.

Website Icons Internal 01 Website Icons Internal 04 Website Icons Internal 03 Website Icons Internal 02